Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Fifty Two Pages | iPhone Photography + Shultz Photo School



Kendahl, I love the idea of your project, but wouldn't I get better photos on my nice expensive DSLR camera?  

Well, sure.  Of course you would! (given you know how to use it...)

But how practical is it to take your big DSLR everywhere you go?  Heck, I'm lucky if I can even grab it fast enough inside my house, let alone remember to pack it and take it with me when I go out.  I mean how easy is it to fish it out of your bag, turn it on, get your settings correct, and snap away at that perfectly funny moment in the target check out line?  Not.

One of the core features of Fifty Two Pages is that it is all done on your phone.  

The photos are taken on your phone.
Edited on your phone.
Put into a collage using an app on your phone.  
Shared with friends and family through social media apps on your phone.
And ultimately will be sent to print in a 52 page bound book, through an app on your phone.

The purpose of this is accessibility.  What is the one thing we all have with us throughout the day?  (you guessed it..) Your phone.

As some of you know, I used to work full time for a local professional photographer.  I owe any and all of my photography and editing skills to him.  Kyle has a passion to teach others (specifically parents) how to take great photos of their kids.  That's where Shultz Photo School was born.  In his own words:

"What I am going to teach are the key concepts that make the largest impact on helping you experience the pure joy of creating meaningful images and capturing fleeting moments that would otherwise fade in our memory."


When I was in the dreaming stages of Fifty Two Pages, I sought out a bit of his help.  If I was going to have moms taking and sharing pictures of their kids, I wanted to teach them how to do it right!  Sure, capturing the moment is the most important part.  But, a few simple photography tips can help you capture those moments in a photo that you won't  ever forget.  When I asked him if he'd be willing to put together a little iPhone Photography lesson for me, he said he actually already had a series on  Camera Phone photography in the works!  
Funny how things work out like that, huh?  :)

So, Kyle just released his first of a series of lessons and I'm so excited to share it with you: Camera Phone Photography Tips (Part 1)

Here's a couple photos I snapped today using his tips.  It's simple stuff, guys…but it really works :)

1. Typical Shot - Too much negative space:


2. Fill the frame:



3. Choose a better perspective:




4. Rule of thirds: 



5. Edit Color/BW





Well, my foot is asleep and both kids have woken up from their naps so I must finish up.  Life is funny.  

Go check out his lesson, and I promise you'll notice a different in your photos immediately!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...